Senior Minister vacancy
“Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.” Rev 3:20
THE VACANCY PROCESS
Ian Bentley's retirement from his post as Minister of Christ Church is fast approaching; his last Sunday with us will be on 2nd April 2017.
We need to celebrate Ian’s time with us and pray for his future.
Ian has been preparing us as a congregation through his ministry, preaching and teaching and we need to bear in mind all of his council as we move forward.
The work for finding his replacement has already begun; underpinning all that we do are prayers for this work and process to support all of those charged with moving this forward so please pray that God will be with all of us at Christ Church giving us wisdom, insight and energy to find a new leader and preacher.
We are reminded from 1 Thess 5:24 that “The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it”.
As we are an Ecumenical Partnership, the Church Council and Wardens are liaising with the different denominations that sponsor that partnership i.e. representatives from theAnglican, Baptist, Methodist and United Reformed Church traditions are joined together as our “sponsoring body”.
The Sponsoring Body has already met with the Church Council and has introduced a protocol which includes:
- creating a Parish Profile that summarises Christ Church beliefs, customs and practices
- redrafting and formalising the Constitution
- creating a profile for the new leader
- defining the interview process including drafting and placing the advertisement, short listing, arranging to hear applicants preach and interviewing
In order to do this we want to involve as many people as possible to spread the work load by forming groups to take on some of these tasks and to bring the findings to the Church family and the Church Council for approval. The Sponsoring Body will be involved in the process and may advise when needed.
To extend and focus all of the prayers from the whole church while this process unfurls we need to keep praying to ensure that we follow God's will for us. We are looking to create a prayer group to lift us to the Lord and seek His guidance.
“how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!” Matt 7:11
To seek views from the congregation and draft the parish profile which will be presented to Church Council before going to Sponsors for consideration and acceptance.
To review and update the original Constitution before presenting it for agreement to our Church Council and the Sponsoring Body and arranging the final signatures.
Selection, Interview and Welcome Group
Nearer the time the Church Council will need to agree the two Parish Representatives who will be involved in the interview process. However, others may be involved in meeting those who attend for interview.
In addition to this process mentioned above we have been told by the Diocese of Winchester which owns the vicarage that it is their policy to let out the vicarage for six months and they will be doing that in Chineham. The maintenance and decoration of the house will be done prior to the new minister taking up residence.
PLEASE DO PRAY
“This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.” 1 John 5:14
- For Ian and Ruth Bentley as they prepare to move from Chineham, and as Ian retires from full time ministry; give thanks for their faithful commitment to God and to Christ Church over many years
- For Denise Bain and Owen Brooker, our Church Wardens, as they oversee the process for finding a replacement minister and updating the Constitution, and for the Church Council and the Sponsoring Body
- For Gordon Randall in his role as Assistant Minister (self supporting) as he leads Christ Church during the vacancy
- For the person who God wants to be our next minister
- For the staff team including Ruth Randall (Parish Administrator/Pastoral Care Leader), Ruth Hutchings (Youth Work Leader) and Gill Godfrey (Administration Assistant) as they run the church on a day-to-day basis
- For the church family and for unity
If you have any questions about the vacancy or would like to volunteer to help in any way please contact one of the following people:
Denise Bain – Church Warden
Owen Brooker – Church Warden
Gordon Randall – Assistant Minister
Ruth Randall – Parish Administrator